Everything you need to know for a trip to the city that’s at the center of the Hallyu Wave
One Awesome Seoul Video
A Haiku about Seoul
Upbeat entertainment scene
An urban city
Speak Like A Local
Locals speak Korean, with some speaking English.
Chat Like A Local
The most popular messaging app in South Korea is KakaoTalk.
All About That Cash
The official currency is the Korean won (₩ or KRW, ~₩1,200 = US$1).
Best Time to Visit
September to November for mild autumn weather, April to May for the spring cherry blossoms. Summer months are hot with a chance of heavy monsoon rains. Winters are cold and usually snowy.
Is It Safe?
One Crazy Fact
You’re a year older in South Korea, as they count a person’s age as one year old from birth.
A photo posted by Jen Tarnate (@jentarnate) on
– Myeongdong: Known for the many attractions in the heart of the city.
– Gangnam: Home to many entertainment companies and record labels and lots of shopping.
– Itaewon: Popular for the nightlife and shopping spots, and is perhaps the area with the most cultural diversity in Seoul, with diverse nationalities and cuisines.
– Hongdae: The university district to experience the youth culture.
– Dongdaemun: Known for the large traditional markets and romantic parks.
Seoul’s Highest Tower
A photo posted by Veejay Jose (@veejayjose) on
Namsan Tower marks the highest point in the city at 236m. Head up to the observation deck for a bird’s eye view of Seoul.
Getting In and Out
A photo posted by @cass_sy_chan on
The city’s newer airport, the Incheon Airport is one of the busiest airports in the world. The older Gimpo Airport is more centrally located and caters mainly to domestic fliers.
Travelling from Incheon Airport to the city:
– By bus: Check the buses and routes here. For shorter travelling time, travel by the limousine buses.
– By train: To get to Seoul Station, use the Airport Rail Service (AREX). Taking the express train costs ₩13,300, while the commuter train costs ₩3,700.
– By taxi: Get a taxi at the arrival gates. A trip to the city takes about an hour, with an estimated cost of ₩60,000-100,000 won.
– By car: Rent-a-car services can be found near exits 2 and 13 at the arrivals floor.
Travelling from Gimpo Airport to the city:
– By bus: Check the buses and fares to get to your location here.
– By train: Get to the Gimpo International Airport Station of the subway through the underground passageway. A trip to downtown areas take around 20 minutes.
– By taxi
>>>> 서울 지하철 ㅋㅋㅋ 웃기다 진짜. 근데 맞는 말이다. ~~ 하트 위로 발 모으세요^^ 여성분들 더 편할거에요. >>>> Seoul subway. I think it is funny but it is true (put your foot on the heart shape.) Women will be more comfortable. Good idea ^^ >>>> Seoul metrosunda böyle kalpli şekilller yapmışlar. İlk bakışta komik geldi bana açıkçası. Ama aslında mantıklı ve doğru. Ayaklarınızı bu kalp şekillerinin üstüne koyun diyor. Anlamı büyük. Bayanlar en azından böylece daha rahat ederler. #지하철 #지하철에서 #지하철안 #서울지하철 #서울 #한국 #하트 #하트모양 #metro #subway #seoulmetro #seoulsubway #goodidea #koreli #korede #koreafans #korecan #lifeinkorea #korea #seoul #seouladdict #koretürkiye #koreanstyle #팔로워즈 #팔로워 #morefollowers #morefollowersplease
A photo posted by 터키 사람 인 한국 /A Turkish in Seoul (@c_jihyun7) on
Common forms of transportation include:
– Bus: Buses are convenient way to travel in Seoul. Learn about the different bus types here.
– Subway: Download the Subway Korea app to search for the shortest route to your destination, calculate your fare and other details.
– Taxi: Every taxi has a “free interpretation service” where you can connect to a call centre that will translate English, Japanese and Chinese to communicate your destination to the driver. For the full list of taxi types, check here.
We’re your fellow adventure-seekers, foodies and trendsetters who have been bitten by the travel bug. From the first time we set foot on Thailand’s beaches and partied till dawn in Hong Kong, we decided to dedicate ourselves to searching and sharing the best travel ideas across Asia. We enjoy a good conversation and love it even more when it’s about a hole-in-the-wall food joint you stumbled upon during your last trip. So reach out and let’s chat!